Animal Control

Mother Dog at Shelter With Puppies

Our animal control officers handle issues with cats and dogs withing the city. We respond to calls related to the following ordinances:

  • Running at large
  • Spay and neuter
  • City tags
  • Vicious and dangerous animals
  • Over the limit of animals
  • Abandoned animals
  • Pit bull/ wolf hybrid ordinance
  • Barking dogs

For all animal related issues contact the City of Bluefield Animal Control Officer Nathanael Shumate at 304-327-2401 ext 2454.

On weekends, you must call the police department at 304-327-6101 option 1 for emergencies only. Calls after 4:30 p.m., will be handled the next day unless an absolute emergency.

Wildlife issues are to be handled by licensed agencies and the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources. Please contact individuals at the following numbers should you deal with a wildlife issue:

West Virginia Division of Natural Resources:  304.558.2771
Mountain State Wildlife Control and Pest Removal:  304.920.7422

Can I own a pit bull or wolf-hybrid in the City of Bluefield?

Owners that have registered their pit bulls and wolf-hybrid breeds in the City of Bluefield may maintain ownership. At this time, new pit bulls and wolf-hybrids are not allowed to be brought into the city limits. Dogs should be muzzled at all times when not inside home or kennel. Please reference the City Code of Ordinances Chapter 4 for more information.

Does the City of Bluefield have a leash law?

The City Code of Ordinances Chapter 4 states that "no person shall allow any dog owned by him or in his custody to run at large within the city. The term "running at large" means allowing a dog to leave the property limits of property owned, leased or occupied by its owner without restraint. The term "restraint" means being secured by a leash or lead, or being under the control of a responsible person and obedient to that person's command."

View All FAQ's